Dan DeVetter

Dan DeVetter
Devetter preparing to fly in a Diamond DA20-Katana.

As a 2nd Lieutenant in the United States Air Force and Combat Systems Officer Trainee, Dan DeVetter gets paid to fly. Based in Pensacola, Florida, DeVetter receives on-the-job training in flight, navigation, weapons systems, and electronic warfare such as radar jamming. As a student at Iowa State, DeVetter was an active member of the Delta Tau Delta fraternity and Cyclone Aide. He also served as a Career Fair Ambassador – and now, as a young alumni, DeVetter has some helpful advise to offerer his aerospace peers.

How did you land your job?

It was a long process with tests, interviews, and physical exams to get accepted. Then I had to go to Officer Training School before coming to Pensacola for CSO training.

What is the most valuable thing you learned as an aerospace engineering undergrad?

I gained a love and appreciation for all things aviation and a desire to learn.

What is your fondest memory of the department?

Getting the opportunity to work in the labs for various research projects. I put in many hours, and wouldn’t take back any of them.

What do you know now that you wish you had known as an undergrad?

I wish I would have gotten more flying experience in school to learn about airplanes firsthand, from a pilot’s perspective.

What advice would you offer current undergrads?

Work hard and keep an open mind, because you never know what doors your degree can open.