- Martin C. Jischke Professor
- Associate Chair for Graduate Education
Main Office2251 Howe Hall
Ames, IA 50011-2271
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, the University of Tokyo, Japan.
- Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, China.
- M.S., Aerospace Engineering, Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, China.
- B.S., Aerospace Engineering, Beijing University of Aeronautics & Astronautics, China.
- Advanced flow diagnostics and instrumentation
- Aircraft icing physics and anti-/de-icing technology
- Bio-inspired aerodynamics and unsteady vortex flows and control
- Wind energy and wind turbine aeromechanics
Dr. Hui Hu is a Professor of Aerospace Engineering at Iowa State University. Dr. Hu’s technical background is in the field of experimental fluid dynamics and heat transfer with emphasis on developing and applying advanced flow diagnostic techniques to study various complex thermal flow problems. Dr. Hu’s recent research interests include wind energy and wind turbine aeromechanics; icing physics, aircraft icing and wind turbine anti-icing/de-icing technology; film cooling, trailing edge cooling and thermal management of gas turbine blades; aerodynamics of low-speed airfoils and active flow controls; bio-inspired aerodynamic designs for micro-air-vehicle (MAV) applications; micro-flows and micro-scale heat transfer in microfluidics or “Lab-on-a-Chip” devices. Dr. Hu received several prestigious awards in recent years, which include 2006 NSF-CAREER Award, 2007 Best Paper in Fluid Mechanics Award (Measurement Science and Technology, IOP Publishing), 2009 AIAA Best Paper Award in Applied Aerodynamics, 2012 Mid-Career Achievement in Research Award of Iowa State University, and 2013 AIAA Best Paper Award in Ground Testing Technology.
- Zhang Y, Sarkar PP, Hu H, “An Experimental Study of Flow Fields and Wind Loads on Gable-roof Building Models in Microburst-like Wind", Experiments in Fluids, Vol.54(5):1511; 21pages, 2013.[PDF file] DOI: 10.1007/s00348-013-1511-9.
- Chen WL, Xin DB, Xu F, Li H, Hu H, “Suppression of vortex-induced vibration of a circular cylinder using a suction-based flow control", Journal of Fluids and Structures, in press, 2013.
- Hu H, Yang Z, Sarkar PP, “Dynamic Wind Loads and Wake Characteristics of a Wind Turbine Model in an Atmospheric Boundary Layer Wind", Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 52, No. 5, pp1277-1294, 2012, [PDF file].DOI: 10.1007/s00348-011-1253-5.
- Chen WL, Tang S, Li H, Hu H, "Influence of Dynamic Properties and Position of Rivulet on Rain-Wind-Induced Vibration of Stay Cables",Journal of Bridge Engineering, 2012, accepted, in press. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)BE.1943-5592.0000443
- Yu ML, Wang ZJ, Hu H, “Airfoil Thickness Effects on the Thrust Generation of Plunging Airfoils", Journal of Aircraft, Vol.49, No.5, pp1434-1439, 2012. [PDF file], DOI:10.2514/1.C20031720.
- Hu H, Koochesfahani MM, “Thermal Effects on the Wake of a Heated Circular Cylinder Operating in Mixed Convection Regime”, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, Vol.685, pp235-270, 2011. [pdf file], DOI:10.1017/jfm.2011.313
- Hu H, Yang Z, Sarkar PP, Haan F, “Characterization of the Wind Loads and Flow Fields around a Gable-roof Building Model in Tornado-like Winds”, Experiments in Fluids, Vol.51, No.3, pp835-851, 2011.[pdf file],DOI:10.1007/s00348-011-1102-6.
- Yu M, Wang ZJ and Hu H, “A High-Order Spectral Difference Method for Unstructured Dynamic Grids”, Computers and Fluids, Vol. 48, No.1, pp84-97, 2011.[PDF file], DOI:10.1016/j.compfluid.2011.03.015.
- Yang Z, Sarkar P, Hu H, “An experimental study of flow field around a high-rise building model in tornado-like winds”, Journal of Fluids and Structures, Vol. 27, No. 4, pp471-486, 2011. [PDF file], DOI:10.1016/j.jfluidstructs.2011.02.011.
- Hu H, Clemons L, Igarashi H, “An Experimental Study of the Unsteady Vortex Structures in the Wake of a Root-Fixed Flapping Wing”, Experiments in Fluids, Vol.51, No.2, pp347–359, 2011.[pdf file],DOI: 10.1007/s00348-011-1052-z.
- Yang Z, Hu H, “Trailing Edge Cooling Effectiveness Measurements of Turbine Blades Using Pressure Sensitive Paint (PSP) Technique”, AIAA Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol.27, No.3, pp700-709, 2011.[pdf file], DOI: 10.2514/1.54202.
- Wang B, Demuren A, Gyuricsko E, Hu H, “An Experimental Study of Pulsed Micro Flows Pertinent to Continuous Subcutaneous Insulin Infusion Therapy”, Experiments in Fluids, Vol. 51, No. 1, pp65-74, 2011. [pdf file], DOI: 10.1007/s00348-010-1033-7.