Assistant Professor and Walter W. Wilson Faculty Fellow of Aerospace Engineering 2341 Howe Hall, Ames, IA-50011 Email: sharma .at. iastate.edu Ph: (515) 294-2884 Vita of Anupam Sharma
- Aeroacoustics: turbomachinery (fan) noise
- Wind Turbine aerodynamics and aeroacoustics
- High Performance Computing
- AERE/ME-448: Fluid Dynamics of Turbomachinery flows [Spring 2014, 2013, 2012]
- EM/ME/EE-451: Engineering Acoustics [Fall 2012]
- AERE 411: Aerospace Vehicle Propulsion – I [Fall 2013]
- WESEP 501: Wind Energy Resources – 8 lectures on wind turbine aerodynamics and acoustics [Fall 2013, 2012]
- “Introduction to Many-Body Problems and Algorithms” 10 lectures at Pennsylvania State University [Spring 2004]
- Bharat Agarwal (PhD): Fan Broadband Noise.
- Behnam Moghadassian (PhD): Windfarm Aerodynamics, Aeromechanics and Aeroacoustics.
- Aaron Rosenberg (PhD): Modeling windfarm aerodynamics using Large Eddy Simulations.
- Suganthi Selvaraj (MS): Investigation of Surface Flow Convergence phenomenon in Windfarms.
- Senior Engineer at the General Electric Global Research Center, Schenectady, NY [2009-2011]
- Visiting scholar in the Department of Engineering at the University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK [Sep-Oct 2010]
- Mechanical Engineer at the General Electric Global Research Center, Schenectady, NY [2004-2009]
- Summer Intern at the General Electric Global Research Center, Schenectady, NY [May-Aug 2003]
- Summer Intern at the National Aeronautics Laboratory, Bangalore, India [Jun-Aug 1998]
- Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering from The Pennsylvania State University, [2001-2004]
- M.S. in Aerospace Engineering from The Pennsylvania State University, [1999-2001]
- B.Tech in Aerospace Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India [1995-1999]
- A. Sharma and Hsuannien Chen, “Prediction of Tonal Aerodynamic Noise from Open Rotors” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 332, No. 16, pp. 3832–3845, 2013.
- A. Sharma, S. K. Richards, T. H. Wood, and C. M. Shieh “Numerical Prediction of Fan Tone Interaction Noise from High Bypass Aircraft Engines,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 47, No. 12, pp. 2866-2878, 2009.
- 1. N. Sezer-Uzol, A. Sharma and L. N. Long, “Computational Fluid Dynamics Simulations of Ship Airwake,” Proceedings of the I Mech E, Part G, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 219, No. 5, 2005, pp. 369–392.
- A. Sharma, “Book Review: C++ and Object-Oriented Numeric Computing for Scientists and Engineers,” Journal of Aerospace Computing, Information, and Communication, Vol. 2, No. 5, 2005, pp. 236–237.
- A. Sharma and L. N. Long, “Numerical Simulation of the Blast Impact Problem using the Direct Simulation Monte (DSMC) Carlo Method,” Journal of Computational Physics, Vol. 200, No. 1, Oct. 2004, pp. 211–237.
- F. Souliez, L. N. Long, P. J. Morris, and A. Sharma, “Landing Gear Aerodynamic Noise Prediction Using Unstructured Grids,” International Journal of Aeroacoustics, Vol. 1, No. 2, Jan. 2002, pp. 115–135.
- A. Sharma and N. Ananthkrishnan, “Passage Through Resonance of Rolling, Finned Projectiles With Center-of-Mass Offset,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 239, No. 1, Jan. 2001, pp. 1–17.
- A. Sharma and N. Ananthkrishnan, “Large-Amplitude Limit Cycles via a Homoclinic Bifurcation Mechanism,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 236, No. 4, Sep. 2000, pp. 725–729.
Articles Submitted or in Preparation:
- “Multiple Pure Tone Noise Prediction” submitted to the Journal of Sound and Vibration.
- “Large Eddy Simulations for Predicting Aerodynamic Noise due to Rod-Airfoil Interaction” in preparation.
- “On the Phenomenon of Flow Convergence in Wind Turbine Arrays” in preparation.
Talks / Presentations:
- Invited seminar titled “Windfarm Aerodynamics and Aeroacoustics,” at the Argonne National Laboratory, Illinois, Sep 2013.
- Seminar titled “Aerodynamic Tone Noise from Open Rotors” at NASA Langley Research Center, Oct 2012, at IIT Delhi, Nov 2012, and at ISU, Jan 2013.
- “Aeroacoustics Research at GE,” University of Cambridge, Cambridge, UK (Oct 2010) and at The Pennsylvania State University, PA (May 2011)
- “Blast Impact simulations using Direct Simulation Monte Carlo,” Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Madras, and at IIT Delhi, India, Oct 2006.
- “Fan tone noise prediction,” NASA Glenn Research Center, July 2006.
- Invited talk on “Parallel Algorithms for Particle Methods,” SIAM Conference for Parallel Computing, Feb 2004.
Awards / Grants:
- “Modeling Wind Turbine Aerodynamic Loads,” by General Electric Global Research Center. [July 2013 - Dec 2013]
- IOWA-NASA EPSCoR grant for open rotor installation and fan broadband noise research. [Jan - July 2013]
- INCITE Computing Grant (105M CPU hrs at ALCF), “Enabling Green Energy and Propulsion Systems via Direct Noise Computation,” led by GE Global Research Center. [Jan 2013 - Dec 2013]
- NSF XSEDE computing grant (800K CPU hrs at NICS) [Jan 2013 - Dec 2013]
- “Direct Computation of Fan Broadband Noise using LES”, by General Electric Global Research Center. [June 2012 - Jan 2013]
- IOWA-NASA EPSCoR grant for developing an Aeroacoustics Research Community in the area of Aeroacoustics at Iowa State University. [Mar 2012 - Dec 2012]